1. “Allocation”: A general model of an ecosystem locates positions in the flow of energy and materials to the Sun, atmospheric gases, water, nutrients, plants, decomposers, herbivores, and carnivores. What position would you allocate to human beings?
2. “Locusts or Rats” Given the growth rate of the human population in recent centuries, would locusts or rats be justified in describing human beings as a planetary plague? Why?
3. “Twentieth Century World Population Explosion” Watch the podcast, “Distilled Demographics Mortality Rate” from the Population Reference Bureau (PRB) at http://www.prb.org/Journalists/Webcasts/2010/distilleddemographics3.aspx
In this video, PRB senior demographer Carl Haub explains how “crude” birth rates, the total fertility rate, and replacement-level fertility rates are measured. Using examples from various countries, why do these measures matter for public health and economic development?
a) Watch the podcast, “Distilled Demographics: Mortality Rate” from the Population Reference Bureau (PRB) at http://www.prb.org/Journalists/Webcasts/2010/distilleddemographics4.aspx
In this video, PRB senior demographer Carl Haub discusses the trends behind this “revolution” in mortality, explains how “crude” death rates are measured. Using examples from various countries, why do these measures matter for public health and economic development?
4. Webliography: Population Reference Bureau http://www.prb.org
Answer the following questions after viewing:
a) What does the term demography mean?
b) What does Haub mean when he says, “Demography is destiny”? Use an example from the video to support your answer.
5. “Stages of Development” Examine the 2011 population pyramids for Sudan, Japan, and the USA at www.census.gov. Describe the characteristics of the opulation and identify the services necessary to serve this population over the next 10 to 15 years.
To view the population pyramids, use the US Census Bureau website at http://www.census.gov.
– Go to People and Households and click on International
– Click on IDB (International Data Base)
– Click on Data Access
– Select Country (Sudan, Japan and the USA)
– Year: 2011
– Click Submit
– Click Demographic Indicators to review the data
– Click Population Pyramid to view pyramids
Use the demographic indicators and the population pyramid to answer the following question:
Describe the characteristics of the population and identify the services necessary to serve these populations over the next 10 to 15 years. Be sure to define the discuss the implications of each of the following population characteristics for Sudan, Japan and the USA.
a) Birth rate
b) Death rate
c) Fertility rate
d) Infant mortality
e) Life expectancy
f) Natural increase
g) Net migration
Webliography: U.S. Census Bureau – www.census.gov
6) Given what we have learned about the Earth’s resources, discuss the statement, “There is no limit to Earth’s resources as human ingenuity will tend to solve any shortages.” How does this statement differ from Malthius and his point of view?
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more