In this discussion you are asked to consider these topics/questions:
· What factors within the external environment affect businesses, especially uncertainty and stability, that drive towards efficiency and control for management strategy?
· How do demographic and society-wide shifts as well as technological developments create both challenges and new opportunities for business?
· As a manager, how would you integrate these issues into your work for building co-worker relationships and for having negotiation skills to make unexpected decisions?
Note: At 1st glance the readings and other resources in this guide will look big or long. There are 3 major categories that align with the bullets above. Aim to choose 1-3 resources from each topic for your research. You may read more if the topics catch your attention.
1. Resources to help you: Understanding External Forces
Review carefully the commentary link for Content Session 6. In that document you will find a good overview of external forces facing organizations. Pay attention to Exhibit 15.4 which enables you to organize an analysis of uncertainty and stability.
Porter’s Competitive Forces Theory
Michael Porter is recognized for his work on how to see and then use competitive forces, found in the environment, to influence profitability. Researched since the 80s, these forces include:
· The number and power of a company’s competitive rivals
· potential new market entrants
· existing suppliers
· substitute products.
Porter explains the role for competition. The video is about 13 min, from Harvard School of Business, where Porter is distinguished faculty.
So, it’s important to see how Porter’s competitive forces work because they set up attention or focus to what groups (divisions, team projects) hold attention. The following video applies Porter’s principles to Tesla,which is an innovative company, but also does not dominate the market.
Take away: Keep in mind that as you examine the impact of competitive forces, Porter’s theory, that if you assess the threat as “low” then the work unit is likely to be more stable. If you assess the competition as “high” then the impact is risky and but also has more options.
Often wider social trends influence what managers perceive they should do, or what seems important, especially for inclusion when faced with diversity. Select two (2) or more issues that you believe are relevant to understanding social diversity background.
2. The diversity/inclusion issues include–
Race and Work opportunities
Race attitudes in the US
Meet Yvonne Cheek (2-3min video, describing the real world of an African American’s approach to leadership https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7CpQlU_c
Millennials and their work expectations
Video with Simon Sinek characterizing Millennials (under 20 min)
Distinguishing between younger workers and their older cohort, the Millennials for technology practices
An overview of the American Workforce and technology
Perceptions of how Americans use technology since the pandemic started…suggests communication challenges for any large technology change.
Hispanics and how they see themselves in the US
A Hispanic success story (video)
Meet the V-Chancellor of the Univ. of Chicago… Francesca, who tells her story of professional advancement from a modest farm family to the 1st woman of color to hold her position.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE788oP2jXE
What’s been learned about technology adaptations and worker satisfaction from experience with the pandemic:
Co-Vid Pandemic Issues:
Impact of Co-vid 19
Loss of Visibility for Minorities during work at home
Without the networks and encounters that offices provide, companies must foster the visibility of Black and Hispanic workers, diversity experts say.
3. Understanding/Negotiating Conflict:
Conflict is a key factor in the case scenario. Justine must decide whether to accept the last minute demands of Mathias from Allied, or what? For more understanding of conflict and negotiation, look to the top of this post. See/review the attached file “Conflict Management-Negotiation, SPRING 2021”. Consider a review of the 2nd file, which has video clips of important ideas about negotiating.
Guide Details for Your Thread (main post)
· Read the scenario of Morton Papers and Justine Woods carefully. There are several important topics in the case, which offer insights and ideas for helping Justine, who must effectively find a way to negotiate.
· 1st consider the external forces influencing Morton Paper and Justine’s success. Explain two (2) or more by writing at least one paragraph. Using the analysis chart found in Commentary, for session 6, determine the uncertainty/stability of Morton.
· Identify two (2) social trends likely to be influencing Justine. Explain by writing 1-2 paragraphs.
· Each trend should be researched–using a minimum of one (1) source.
Use in-text cites.
· Return to the events of the case and find nuggets of information that point towards a negotiation for Justine.
· Conclude with a paragraph that describes your best advice to Justine. What would you do if you were in her position?
Justine Wood is the top salesperson for Morton Paper Company. She also leads the sales team that supports Morton’s largest client, Allied Office Supplies, headquartered in Barcelona, Spain. Justine is very proud of her accomplishments–she is the 1st African-American woman to lead the sales team.
The new contract spelled out Allied’s yearly paper requirements (contracted sales amounts) as well as payment and credit terms. But, the negotiations had been particularly hard for several reasons:
Imagine that you are Justine and that you have her job as the sales manager. Describe what you would do and why you would do it. Make sure that you understand and explain the business situation for Morton and Justine, as well as for Allied. Your initial post (thread) is due by Feb 23with replies to 2-4 other classmates before Mar 2. Show an understanding of the situation, likely external forces influencing expectations for performance, and your thoughts about expanding the negotiation process, particularly for being inclusive of minority leadership.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more