Assignment: Conducting a Diagnostic Interview With a Mental Status Exam
Before moving through diagnostic decision making, a social worker needs to conduct an interview that builds on a biopsychosocial assessment. New parts are added that clarify the timing, nature, and sequence of symptoms in the diagnostic interview. The Mental Status Exam (MSE) is a part of that process.
The MSE is designed to systematically help diagnosticians recognize patterns or syndromes of a person’s cognitive functioning. It includes very particular, direct observations about affect and other signs of which the client might not be directly aware.
When the diagnostic interview is complete, the diagnostician has far more detail about the fluctuations and history of symptoms the patient self-reports, along with the direct observations of the MSE. This combination greatly improves the chances of accurate diagnosis. Conducting the MSE and other special diagnostic elements in a structured but client-sensitive manner supports that goal. In this Assignment, you take on the role of a social worker conducting an MSE.
· Watch the video describing an MSE. Then watch the Sommers-Flanagan (2014) “Mental Status Exam” video clip. Make sure to take notes on the nine domains of the interview.
· Review the Morrison (2014) reading on the elements of a diagnostic interview.
· Review the 9 Areas to evaluate for a Mental Status Exam and example diagnostic summary write-up provided in this Week’s resources.
· Review the case example of a diagnostic summary write-up provided in this Week’s resources.
· Write up a Diagnostic Summary including the Mental Status Exam for Carl based upon his interview with Dr. Sommers-Flanagan.
Submit a 2+ page case presentation paper in which you complete both parts outlined below:
Part I: Diagnostic Summary and MSE
Provide a diagnostic summary of the client, Carl. Within this summary include:
· Identifying Data/Client demographics
· Chief complaint/Presenting Problem
· Present illness
· Past psychiatric illness
· Substance use history
· Past medical history
· Family history
· Mental Status Exam (Be professional and concise for all nine areas)
o Behavior or psychomotor activity
o Attitudes toward the interviewer or examiner
o Affect and mood
o Speech and thought
o Perceptual disturbances
o Orientation and consciousness
o Memory and intelligence
o Reliability, judgment, and insight
Part II: Analysis of MSE
After completing Part I of the Assignment, provide an analysis and demonstrate critical thought (supported by references) in your response to the following:
· Identify any areas in your MSE that require follow-up data collection.
· Explain how using the cross-cutting measure would add to the information gathered.
· Do Carl’s answers add to your ability to diagnose him in any specific way? Why or why not?
· Would you discuss a possible diagnosis with Carl at this point in time? Why?
Support Part II with citations/references. The DSM 5 and case study do not need to be cited. Utilize the other course readings to support your response.
Must contain at least 4 references and citations being certain to reference Morrison, American Psychiatric Association, and Sommers-Flanagan
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more