Read/review the following resources for this activity:
· Textbook: Chapter 9
· Link (website): Pew Research Center (Links to an external site.)
click on the Social Trends tab.
click on the Interactives tab.
locate the following link: How Census Race Categories Have Changed Over Time
click on “1790” to see two columns comparing the 1790 Census categories with the 2010 Census categories.
· Minimum of 4 outside scholarly sources in addition to the textbook/lesson (may include Pew Research Center as a source)
In this week’s lesson, you learned about the U.S. Census Bureau’s most recent racial and ethnic categories. For this assignment, consider the racial and ethnic categories used in the 2010 Census with the four racial, ethnic, and gender categories used in the 1790 Census: Free white males, free white females, all other free persons, slaves (Pew Research Center, 2015). Analyze the concepts of race, ethnicity, and gender as social constructs, just as sociologists do, by addressing the following:
1. Explain how you might have been categorized by the 1790 Census and how you would have been categorized by the 2010 Census.
2. Compare and contrast the two potential categorizations and explain how this exercise shows that the concepts of race, ethnicity, and even gender change over time. Most importantly, explain how this exercise shows that the concepts of race, ethnicity, and gender are social constructs.
3. Determine and describe what ethnic, racial, and/or gender categories, if any, would be best, in your view, for the 2020 Census or the 2030 Census, to most accurately show the diversity of the U.S. population. What categories would be best to reveal the segments of the U.S. population most vulnerable to racial, ethnic, and/or gender inequalities or discrimination? What categories could be listed in the 2020 Census or the 2030 Census that might best educate the U.S. population on differences between race and ethnicity? Explain your decisions.
Include headings for each of the three main sections of the paper:
· What the Census Might Have Called Me
· Social Constructs
· Better Future Census Categories
Each of the three main sections of your paper must contain scholarly support in the form of quotes or paraphrases with respective citations from assigned reading (the textbook/lesson) and the outside scholarly source that you identify on your own.
*This assignment is adapted from Glaser (2018).
Writing Requirements (APA format)
· Introduction: Include the working thesis statement you used in the prewriting map
· Length: 4 pages (not including title or references page)
· 1-inch margins
· Double spaced
· 12-point Times New Roman font
· Running header in the upper left of all pages
· Page number in the upper right of all pages
· Minimum of 3 headings (centered, bold, & title case)
· Parenthetical in-text citations included and formatted in APA style
· References page (minimum of 4 outside scholarly sources plus the textbook/lesson) Note: Use the same references you used in the prewriting map
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more