1. Assume that at Pine Valley Furniture products are composed of components, products are assigned to salespersons, and components are produced by vendors. Also assume that in the relation PRODUCT (Prodname, Salesperson, Compname, Vendor), Vendor is functionally dependent on Compname and Compname is functionally dependent on Prodname. Eliminate the transitive dependency in this relation and form 3NF (third normal form) relations.
2. Transform the E-R diagram of Figure 8-3 into a set of 3NF relations. Make up a primary key and one or more non-keys for each entity.
3. Transform the E-R diagram of Figure 9-21 into a set of 3NF relations.
4. Consider the list of individual 3NF relations below. These relations were developed from several separate normalization activities.
PATIENT(Patient_ID, Room_Number, Admit_Date, Address)
ROOM(Room_Number, Phone, Daily_Rate)
PATIENT(Patient_Number, Treatment_Description, Address)
TREATMENT(Treatment_ID, Description, Cost)
PHYSICIAN(Physician_ID, Name, Department)
PHYSICIAN(Physician_ID, Name, Supervisor_ID)
(a) Merge these relations into a consolidated set of 3NF relations. State whatever assumptions you consider necessary to resolve any potential problems you identify in the merging process. (b) Draw an E-R diagram for your answer to part “a”.
5. Consider the following 3NF relations about a sorority or fraternity:
MEMBER(Member_ID, Name, Address, Dues_Owed)
OFFICE(Office_Name, Officer_ID, Term_Start_Date, Budget)
EXPENSE(Ledger_Number, Office_Name, Expense_Date, Amt_Owed)
PAYMENT(Check_Number, Expense_Ledger_Number, Amt_Paid)
RECEIPT(Member_ID, Receipt_Date, Dues_Received)
(a) Foreign keys are not indicated in these relations. Decide which attributes are foreign keys and justify your decisions. (b) Draw an E-R diagram for these relations, using your answer to part “a”. (c) Explain the assumptions you made about cardinalities in your answer to part “b”. Explain why it is said that the E-R data model is more expressive or more semantically rich than the relational data model.
6. Consider the following functional dependencies:
Applicant_ID –> Applicant_Name
Applicant_ID –> Applicant_Address
Position_ID –> Position_Title
Position_ID –> Date_Position_Opens
Position_ID –> Department
Applicant_ID + Position_ID –> Date_Applied
Applicant_ID + Position_ID + Date_Interviewed –> (Nothing)
(a) Represent these attributes with 3NF relations. Provide meaningful relation names. (b) Represent these attributes using an E-R diagram. Provide meaningful entity and relationship names.
7. Suppose you were designing a file of student records for your university’s placement office. One of the fields that would likely be in this file is the student’s major. Develop a coding scheme for this field that achieves the objectives outlined in Chapter 10 for field coding.
8. Suppose you created a file for each relation in your answer to question “3” above. If the following queries represented the complete set of accesses to this database, suggest and justify what primary and secondary key indices you would build.
(a) For each PART in Item_Number order list in Vendor_ID, sequence all the vendors and their associated prices for that part. (b) List all PART RECEIPTs, including related PART fields for all the parts received on a particular day. (c) For a particular VENDOR, list all the PARTs and their associated prices that VENDOR can supply.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more